Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I have become a statistic.

90 miles per day, 450 miles per week, $70 on gas per week - for two and a half years. 10 hours commuting in soul-sucking traffic every week.  520 hours per year. That’s roughly equivalent to 22 whole days. Wasted. The Eisenhower's going down to 2 lanes. Just kill me now. 

Then there's the ridiculousness of the physical location of my building. To illustrate my point, last week during a power outage, I found myself shooting a bb gun at a can of corn on top of a log in a recently burned cornfield with a bunch of mechanics. I think the context is better left unexplained. This is not what production offices should be like. I miss the streets and pace and the smell of Chicago. It has air you can chew.

I'm not quite sure what the breaking point was. Maybe it was my pay structure routinely being fucked with to the point that I am now freelance (read: paying withholding) but still getting paid my shitty, shitty ass salary wages, not getting compensated for overtime, weekends, or travel days. Or maybe it was being told that we have no chance of a bonus/raise any time soon. Or maybe it was not getting invited to the premiere of a movie that I worked on tirelessly for the last year. Or maybe it's the fact that I get two weeks paid vacation but my boss is making me take unpaid days because of the "economy." There are a thousand other reasons.

There are only a few that I'm staying for and they are dwindling by the day. 

3 comments:

QFK said...

jesus.h.christ. i feel ya sister - shitty job central. they ask you to do more work but can't compensate you because of the "economy."

oh, and hey, are we still friends?

chauncey said...

yeaaaaa tell me about it. or getting laid off just to take a postiion two levels below what you were at previously, and making less money, BUT while someones out of town this week, i get to do my old job, for less money oh and no benifits. murder me plz

B-Sides said...

Ok Drew, you win.

Quinne, don't be a dummy. I'm going schmelt fishing (bought our own net and all) next week. Wish you were here.